Repeatability/variance

Everything related to Accutension Stetho.
  • Learn product updates.
  • Ask questions on the Accutension Stetho.
  • Share your calibration findings.
  • Suggest new features of Accutension Stetho app.
  • Report a bug.
Please start a new thread if the topic is new.
or23

Repeatability/variance

Post by or23 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi,

I just got an Omron Series 10 blood pressure monitor (BP786N) and the Accutension Stetho. I have carried out the calibration of the Omron four times as described in the Accutension manual. Accutension gives me differences in the systolic pressure of -5 to 6 mm Hg and in the diastolic pressure of -5 to 7 mm Hg compared to the Omron BPM. Is the variability of the results that high, or am I missing beats at the beginning and end of the recording? If I am missing beats, how can I make sure I recognize the very weak ones? Also, should the calibration be done several times and then an average calculated?

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers!

Junfeng

Re: Repeatability/variance

Post by Junfeng » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

Hi,

On the weak beats, you should use your earphone to listen to the playback to confirm whether it is a beat or noise. In manual BP measurement, the first Korotkoff sound indicates systolic BP and last one indicates diastolic BP.

On the measurement times, you'd better measure three times in a row and do an average.

On the implementation of the difference, you'd better discuss the finding with your doctor and seek his/her advice. Accutension Stetho is designed for accuracy screening purpose. It can tell the difference between your blood pressure monitor and the BP based on auscultatory method, which is the gold standard of non-invasive BP measurement.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Smartphone auscultatory blood pressure measurement - hearing is believing.